Wednesday, May 1, 2013

World War II Newspaper Clippings from a Joliet Township High School Yearbook

Several years ago my great-aunt had to be admitted to a nursing home.  After being admitted my cousin sent me many family photographs and mementos.  I was entrusted with these items as I had become the family historian nearly a decade before.  Among those items was a 1937 issue of "The J".  This was the yearbook for Joliet Township High School.  My great-aunt had been a member of this class.  In 1987 she returned to Joliet from Fresno, California to attend her 50 year high school reunion.

Contained in the yearbook were the dates of class members marriages.  These were noted under the names of individuals in the margins of the pages.  Additionally were newspaper clippings for members of the class that had enlisted in the armed forces.  I do not believe it to be a comprehensive collection of members who joined.  Perhaps they were the women and men my great-aunt had been friends with.

Below in no particular order are some of the men and women who served in various branches of the armed forces.

Robert Larson

Lt. Robert W. Mitchell

Pvt. Anton Popek, Jr.

Vincent Zielinski

George Strunk

Robert Lang

Sgt. David Lind

John Hartong

Edward F. Cleghorn

Lt. Donald L. Jasinek

Charles Hughes

J.F. Moretti

Sgt. William B. Weigerding & Sgt. Richard W. Weigerding 

Cadet William C. Elms

Lt. M.L. Wells

J.E. Coyle

Althea M. Overton

Staff Sergt. Bert Larson

Pvt. Robert S. Hodgdon

Pvt. Robert E. Miller

Pvt. Russell S. Brown

Pvt. William Cutler

Pvt. John Koncar

Sgt. Chester Cooper

Norman E. Johnson

George Arthur

Dale Beasley & Robert Beasley

Mary Hammel

Cadet Richard L. Adler

Mark L. Hanna

Chester Olroyd

Lucille A. Ambrose

3 comments:

  1. All the pics you share in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information & pics. world war 2 memorabilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to share these newspaper clippings for others to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chester Olroyd was my uncle. He was one of seven children including Mae, Melvin, Eleanor, Ethel, Walter, and Vera. Eleanor was my mother. They lived in Joliet on Reichman St., off Richards Street, down by Hickory Creek. It's now in the shadow of I-80. Their father, Alfred, my grandfather was a cold plate lithographer and worked at a wallpaper factory. The family was fortunate because their father had a good job during the Depression. Times were tough. My Grandmother, Ellen, was known for feeding all the kids in the neighborhood as well as her own.

    Chester married Elvera Fox, presumably before the war, but I am unsure of the date. After the war, Chester worked for Illinois Power Company. They had a daughter named Beverly, born in 1949 - just a year before me. They built a house in Plainfield, IL and lived there for years. In the early eighties I visited with Mae, Chester, and Elvera. Also in attendance was Mgae's son (my cousin) and his wife Marsha. Elvera was struggling with the effects of Parkinson's. Beverly moved to Chicago and worked as a personal assistant. She was stricken with cancer and died in 1986 as I recall. Elvera died soon thereafter due to complications from Parkinson's.

    After his older brother (my uncle) Melvin died. Chester spent a lot of time with his widow, Irene. Eventually, the widow and widower married.

    Chester died in 2000 or 2001. As far as I know, he was the last or next to last Olroyd family member to pass on.

    ReplyDelete